Toughness is one of the main attributes.
- 1 Effects
- 2 How to train it
- 3 How to raise it
- 4 How to abuse It
- 5 Items
- 6 Requirements
- 7 References
- Toughness is the main stat used to determine the PC maximum hit points; roughly one hit point is given for each two points of To, as well as one per level (+9 HP at level 10, +19 HP at level 20, and so on) at Toughness of [2/4/6/8] 14/16/18/20/23/26/29/34/38/45/50/60/70/80/90 (2/4/6/8 checks had weird results in testing).
- The PC gains one point of natural PV for every two points of Toughness starting with 20. This increase is capped at 58 toughness (+20 PV).
- Toughness improves the chance to avoid being affected by sickening melee attacks. In the absence of bad luck, 30 Toughness provides immunity to these attacks.
The Toughness stat also has some influence on the PC's ability to resist becoming paralyzed from wands of paralyzation and paralytic skin.
How to train it
Toughness is very easy to train by eating morgia roots. B/U/C status does not matter; they always have a positive effect. Around 4 herbs are sufficient for an increase. Morgia roots no longer work for Toughness if it is 25 or higher, although an extreme amount of training at 24 can increase it to 26. Eating morgia roots cannot train Toughness if it is already at its potential.
The PC can pay Garth to train their Toughness. Higher values of Toughness require progressively more gold.
Like all attributes, Toughness is slightly trained every time the PC levels up. The Athletics skill increases the amount of Toughness training gained.
How to raise it
Potions of toughness and potions of gain attributes can be used to increase Toughness. There is no soft or hard cap for using these; blessed potions of gain attributes give +1 (to all other stats also), uncursed potions of toughness give +1, blessed potions +2.
- Barbarians receive +3 Toughness as part of their level 32 class power.
- Farmers receive +3 Toughness as part of their level 40 class power.
- Beastfighters and Bards receive +6 Toughness as part of their level 50 class power.
- Weaponsmiths receive +8 Toughness as their level 40 class power.
- Healers receive +8 Toughness as part of their level 50 class power.
- Chaos Knights receive at least +1d2 Toughness from their level 25 class power.
The "Tough" talent that is only available at the start of the game increases initial Toughness by 2.
PCs receive a Toughness bonus based on their alignment and the number of corruptions they have (+1 per 2/3/4 corruptions at chaotic/neutral/lawful).
How to abuse It
A lot of corpses, for instance those of dark elves, will decrease Toughness if eaten. Most will raise another stat in exchange, but not necessarily a more useful one.
Many undead monsters list the ability to drain Toughness among their nasty types of attacks. These include, funnily enough, all those whose corpses actually increase Toughness: wights, wraiths, spectres and vampires. Care should be taken to either destroy these quickly and well-armored in melee, or fight from a distance.
Three corruptions affect Toughness: very light (-6), maggot breeding (-6) and bulging cranium (-3).
Casting spells from HP
Casting spells from HP heavily abuses Toughness.
Necromancers gain a class power at level 50 that lets them escape from most forms of death by sacrificing half their Toughness score and HP.
Toughness gradually reduces with age; the stat first decreases when PC reaches middle age, then further at each stage in their lifecycle after that.
Several items in the game will grant a Toughness bonus if worn (standard bonus in brackets). These include:
- knife of endurance (+4), staff of toughness (+4), and weapons of might (+2)
- bracers of toughness (+4) and body armor of resilience (+4 to +6)
- the artifacts Protector (+2), robes of resistance (+5), shield of raw steel (+8), chain mail of raw steel (+6)
- the artifact weapons Rolf's Companion (+3), Hammerhead (+3), staff of the Wanderer (+6), Black Thumb (+3), Unpick axe (+10), Arak's Guard (+5), The Wall (+5), gleaming dwarven rune axe (+6), amulet of indomitable life (+10)
- Chaos Orb of Elemental Earth (+10 when equipped in the tool slot)
|12||Beast of Burden|