Thieves are one of the more challenging classes in ADOM, particularly in the early game. Their starting equipment, stats, and skills are decidedly mediocre—generally comparable to those of Merchants, for example—with the exception of a rather impressive Heir gift. A thief's skillset is geared heavily toward skullduggery and stealth, featuring the desirable Alertness and Detect Traps, as well as Appraising, Disarm traps, Pick locks, and Pick Pockets. As they advance, thieves become much more competent, gaining a number of handy class powers such as automatic searching, stunning critical hits, and an impressive speed boost. Gnomes and Hurthlings are normally recommended for Thieves to better ensure the availability of the Heir gift, but Orcs, Dwarves, Drakelings, Trolls and Ratlings are all possibilities for players wishing for a more durable start.
Basic Information[edit | edit source]
Base Stats[edit | edit source]
The base stats for male Thieves are tabulated below. Female Thieves will, on average, have -1 Strength and +1 Dexterity compared to males. Note that any value may vary from these typical values by around +/-5 due to starsigns or birth effects, and further if the question system is not employed. See Talk:Archer for details on how these tables were generated.
Starting Skills[edit | edit source]
|Skill||Typical Value||Typical Modifier||Available Ingame?|
Crowning Gifts[edit | edit source]
4/6 chance to get a good crowning gift, although True Aim is the only exceptional artifact in the pool. Cat's Claw and Silver Key are the weak gifts, being a stat-stick for ranged combat and a modest convenience respectively.
HP, PP, To-hit Growth by Level[edit | edit source]
Melee to-hit: High
Ranged to-hit: Medium
Special Abilities[edit | edit source]
Class Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Thieves have no known inherent class abilities; however, it is worth pointing out that beyond level 6, Thieves become essentially immune to traps.
- Heir gift is an adamantium dagger of penetration with typical stats (1d4 + 5). This weapon is considered extremely desirable and many players find themselves using this weapon for significant portions of the game.
Class Powers[edit | edit source]
- Level 6: Automatically searches at every step.
- Level 12: Backstabbing gets more deadly. The exact effect is extra 2x modifier for backstabs according Soirana's testing, this can be further multiplied by critical hit and blessed weapon against some enemies. So this could be 2x for backstab 2x for level power 2x critical 1.5x against undead and daemons for total 12x.
- Level 18: Ability to rob shops. Fairly annoying since it adds a prompt every time an item is picked up in a store.
- Level 25: Critical hits will stun opponents. Note that this effect works on practically everything, including powerful opponents and bosses.
- Level 32: Better loot from pickpockets. Skews the loot distribution of the Pick Pockets skill strongly in favour of powerful items. These can include amulet of life saving, wand of wishing, rings of djinni summoning, potion of gain attributes, etc.
- Level 40: Speed is increased by 20.
- Level 50: PC is invisible while adjacent to a wall and not using an item that emits light.
Starting Gear[edit | edit source]
|Human||Troll||High Elf||Grey Elf||Dark Elf|