Strength is one of the main attributes.
Effects[edit | edit source]
- The PC gets +1 to-hit and +1 damage in melee per 2 points above 12 Strength, and -1 to-hit and -1 damage per 2 points below 10 Strength. Whips do not get bonus melee damage from Strength, instead benefiting from Dexterity.
- Two-handed weapons get up to 50% extra damage from Strength, with the extra damage being capped at two times the Two-handed weapon skill level.
- Ranged damage with bows, slings, and thrown rocks is reduced by 2 if Strength is less than 5, and by 1 if Strength is less than 9. Ranged damage with these missile weapons is increased by 1 per 4 points above 12 Strength, up to a maximum of +6 damage at 36 Strength.
- Strength determines the PC's base carrying capacity.
- Maximum HP is increased by 1 per two points of Strength.
It appears Strength is also involved in rolls made to kick down doors and rip through webs, as a weak character will tend to spend many more turns at either task than a stronger character does.
How to train it[edit | edit source]
Burdening[edit | edit source]
- Strength < 15: Can be increased by staying at Burdened status.
- Strength < 16: Can be increased by staying at Strained status.
- Strength < 18: Can be increased by staying at Strained! status.
- Strength < 20: Can be increased by staying at Overburdened! status. Being overburdened also abuses Dexterity.
Mining[edit | edit source]
Garth[edit | edit source]
The PC can pay Garth to train their Strength. Higher values of Strength require progressively more gold.
Kicking stairs[edit | edit source]
Kicking a staircase is known to train the Strength attribute, but repeated kicking of stairs can also collapse the dungeon level and instantly kill the PC (St/2000 chance).
Leveling up[edit | edit source]
Like all attributes, Strength is slightly trained every time the PC levels up. The Athletics skill increases the amount of Strength training gained.
How to raise it[edit | edit source]
Eating corpses[edit | edit source]
Corpses that can increase potential: Dark orc, Orc butcher, Stone giant, Stone giant lord, Fomorian giant, Hill giant chieftain, Frost giant jarl, Fire giant king, Titan, Greater titan, Ancient red dragon, Great red wyrm
As a rule of thumb, the stronger the creature is in combat and the lower your current Strength, the higher the chance to get an increase is going to be.
Corruption[edit | edit source]
There are two corruptions that provide an increase in Strength: stiff muscles (+2) and apish (+3). PCs also receive a Strength bonus based on their alignment and the number of corruptions they have (+1 per 2/3/4 corruptions at chaotic/neutral/lawful).
Stat potions[edit | edit source]
Potions of strength and potions of gain attributes can be used to increase strength. There is no soft or hard cap for using these; blessed potions of gain attributes give +1 (to all other stats also), uncursed potions of strength give +1, blessed potions +2.
Class powers[edit | edit source]
- Weaponsmiths receive +4 Strength as their level 18 class power.
- Barbarians receive +3 Strength as part of their level 32 class power.
- Farmers receive +3 Strength as part of their level 40 class power.
- Beastfighters and Bards receive +6 Strength as part of their respective level 50 class powers.
- Chaos Knights receive at least +1d2 Strength from their level 25 class power.
Talents[edit | edit source]
The "Strong" talent that is only available at the start of the game increases initial Strength by 2.
How to abuse it[edit | edit source]
Age[edit | edit source]
Though grown-up characters have +1 Strength compared to young characters, the stat reduces with further progressions through the life cycle: -1 when middle-aged, a further -3 when old, and a further -4 when very old.
Corruption[edit | edit source]
The very light corruption reduces Strength by 6, and the decaying body corruption reduces it by 5.
Items[edit | edit source]
Several items in the game will grant a Strength bonus if worn (standard bonus in brackets). These include:
- Girdle of strength (+1) and girdle of giant strength (+12)
- Gauntlets of strength (+3)
- Bracers of strength (+4)
- Staff of strength (+3)
- The artifact weapons Executor (+3), Skullcrusher (+4), and Masher (+0)
- The artifact armors Ironfist (+7), Crowned spiked helmet of chaos lordship (+6), Spiked armor of chaos and terror (+8), and Bracers of pure might (+8)
- The weapon suffix "of might" (+2)
- Chaos Orb of Elemental Fire (+10 when equipped in the tool slot)
Requirements[edit | edit source]
|13||Brawler, Powerful Strike|