|Location||Unreal Caves 4|
|Unique?||Yes, but wishable|
|Sees in the dark?||Yes|
Sharad-Waador is a powerful ancient karmic wyrm living next to a staircase on the 4th level of the Unreal Caves in the Caverns of Chaos. He offers the PC a quest to kill his rival, the ancient blue wyrm Srraxxarrakex, who is located at the bottom of the Blue Dragon Caves that are accessed by the stairs immediately adjacent to him.
- Ancient karmic wyrms change color each time they take a turn.
Once the player accepts the quest, they may not walk off the staircase without making Sharad-Waador hostile until Srraxxarrakex is killed. In return, Sharad-Waador will give the player a large number of items, including the artifact dagger Needle, which is a necessary component to ultra endings.
In the current version, ancient karmic wyrms can see invisible and are worth significantly less experience. This makes the following strategy somewhat impractical.
Many players wishing to gain extra experience may kill Sharad-Waador or, typically, wish for more ancient karmic wyrms. Although they have powerful breath attacks of all elemental varieties, a dangerous melee attack, rapid regeneration, and immunity to all elemental attacks, , and thus may be killed by an invisible PC bombarding them repeatedly with magic missiles. An ancient karmic wyrm typically gives around 680,000 experience points; however, by taking advantage of the effects of speed and invisibility, it is possible to earn nearly experience points from a single ancient karmic wyrm.
A checklist for gaining as much experience as possible from this tactic:
- (Vital) A way to become invisible, unless you've already acquired the intrinsic somehow. A cloak or ring of invisibility are preferable over potions or the spell, which could time out before the process is finished, leaving the player open for potentially fatal retaliation.
- (Recommended) A way to make the ancient karmic wyrm invisible, as killing invisible monsters severely increases the amount of experience received. The only easy way to do this is casting the Invisibility spell on the AKW, but a clever player could also lure him over a potion of invisibility and wait for him to drink it. An item granting the ability to see invisible would also be highly recommended, unless the player is willing to shoot magic missiles blindly.
In 1.1.1 and below, the player would always obtain double experience for killing invisible monsters even with the "see invisible" intrinsic; 1.2.0 fixed this bug, so the player must remove any items granting it before delivering the final blow, and is unable to exploit this tactic if he already has that power intrinsically (e.g. from pools).
- (Vital) A means of bolting the wyrm with magic missiles. Spellcasters can learn the spell from a spellbook; putting a few dozen charges in a wand of magic missiles is a viable alternative for other classes.
- (Recommended) Reducing the PC's speed as close to 10 as possible. As many of the following should be (ab)used:
- (Recommended) Having the Good and Great Learner talents and a high Learning stat, all of which increase the amount of experience received.
- (Recommended) Performing this whole procedure in the SMC so that the wyrm is generated at approximately twice your level, yielding even more xp when killed.
- (Recommended) Wearing any item that dooms the player prior to making the wish, which further increases the level at which the AKW will be generated.
As his name suggests, Sharad-Waador is a karmic being, and thus attacking him in melee is not recommended.
Special abilities[edit source]
- Immune to acid, cold, fire, and shock
- Immune to death rays
- Karmic backfire
- Breathes acid, cold, fire, and lightning
- Casts Glowing balls, Confusion, and Healing
- Rapidly regenerates
- Diagonal movement
- Can break down doors
Level: 1, DV: 60, PV: 60, Hits: 1164, Attacks: 3, Damage: 21-120. Speed: 120.
Level: 2, DV: 60, PV: 60, Hits: 1124, Attacks: 3, Damage: 21-120. Speed: 120.
Corpse effects[edit source]
Ancient karmic wyrm corpse(s) confer all effects of karmic being corpses when eaten; as well as raising both Toughness and Mana by 10 each, and fully recharging the player's PP if they weren't at their maximum level already.
My gods! How can anything that huge exist? But it does. Standing before you, it now seems very real indeed, its scales flickering between a thousand colors, and torrents of smoke funneling from its nostrils when it exhales. Eyes the size of your fist stare down from the sky, briefly pondering your insignificant life. The scales of this beast are scarred by thousands of fights, yet its existence is the proof for its awesome powers to fight and prevail in almost any situation.