Paladins are a melee-oriented class with an exceptional talent for divine magic. They have an excellent skillset featuring healing, concentration, athletics, dodge, literacy, and stealth; superior starting equipment (typically blessed); and have a variety of special powers linked to a favourable standing with their god. They start the game with higher piety than other classes. Paladins can be played well by almost any race. Drakelings, dark Elves, Orcs, and Dwarves are notably good choices.
Basic Information[edit | edit source]
Base Stats[edit | edit source]
The base stats for male Paladins are tabulated below. Female Paladins will, on average, have -1 Strength and +1 Dexterity compared to males. Note that any value may vary from these typical values by around +/-5 due to starsigns or birth effects, and further if the question system is not employed. See Talk:Archer for details on how these tables were generated.
Starting Skills[edit | edit source]
|Skill||Typical Value||Typical Modifier||Available Ingame?|
|Law (only if lawful at the start)||30||3d5||Yes|
|Two Weapon Combat||10||4d5||Yes|
Crowning Gifts[edit | edit source]
In the hands of a Paladin, Justifier ideals double damage on every hit, which stacks with blessing and its slaying powers. This makes it the best weapon in terms of melee damage. The scarf, plate mail, and shield are also very strong for their respective items slots. Trusted One and the hammer are much worse, but in the case of an early crowning, the defensive bonuses from the sword can still be very helpful.
HP, PP, To-hit Growth by Level[edit | edit source]
Melee to-hit: High
Ranged to-hit: Medium
Special Abilities[edit | edit source]
Class Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Paladins do double damage while wielding Justifier.
- All other classes deal half damage wielding it.
- Paladins appear to generate spellbooks more commonly than most other classes.
- Paladins are considered a clerical caster, and receive bonuses for casting clerical spells compared to other classes.
- Heir gift is a lawful mithril long sword of typical stats (+0, 1d8+3).
- Paladin class powers are linked to their piety — i.e. they are unable to invoke or benefit from any acquired class powers unless their deity is "very pleased" or happier.
- Paladins get 20% extra piety from sacrifices.
- Paladins always have +0 dice in Necromancy, meaning they cannot increase it on level-ups or train it naturally.
Class Powers[edit | edit source]
- Level 6: Cure disease once every 1000 turns.
- Level 12: Gain the ability to turn undead without using piety or needing a holy symbol. 2000 Energy Cost.
- Level 18: Discover alignment of monsters by looking at them.
- Level 25: Protective aura gives +1 DV per two levels against opponents of opposite alignment.
- Level 32: Healing touch gives (Level-24)d6 points of healing, can be used every 1000 turns.
- Level 40: Resistance to sickness, toughness drain, strength drain, paralysis.
- Level 50: Corruption effects reduced by 30%.
Starting Gear[edit | edit source]
|Human||Troll||High Elf||Grey Elf||Dark Elf|