Learning is one of the main attributes.
- 1 Effects
- 2 How to train it
- 3 How to raise it
- 4 How to abuse It
- 5 Items
- 6 Requirements
Effects[edit | edit source]
- The PC gets 1 additional skill increase per 5 points of Learning over 10.
- Learning has an effect on the roll made to successfully read a spellbook.
- Learning determines how much spell knowledge is gained from a successful spellbook read. Spell knowledge is gained very slowly once it exceeds a soft-cap based on Learning.
- The maximum reachable spell power rating is equal to Learning times two.
- A Learning score of 6 is needed to count the charges in wands.
- A starting score of 10 Learning will grant the Literacy skill to PCs that don't get it thanks to race or class, with the exception of Barbarians and Beastfighters.
- XP gains are increased by (Learning/10)% (around 0% bonus at 1 Le, around 10% bonus at 99 Le)
- Learning affects how many weapon marks training with Bart and wishing for "better marks" yields.
According to the manual, Learning affects ability to write, so it is probably also involved in skill checks made to write scrolls using a magical writing set. It also affects how much information will enter the monster memory.
For Bards, Learning affects the spell knowledge received due to the level 18 class power.
How to train it[edit | edit source]
Reading spellbooks[edit | edit source]
Successfully reading spellbooks will train the stat, but this doesn't appear to work that well if Learning is low, when such training is needed the most.
Garth[edit | edit source]
The PC can pay Garth to train their Learning. Higher values of Learning require progressively more gold.
Leveling up[edit | edit source]
Like all attributes, Learning is slightly trained every time the PC levels up.
How to raise it[edit | edit source]
Crystals of knowledge[edit | edit source]
One of the more easily attainable methods of improving Learning is the use of crystals of knowledge. Using a blessed crystal will add 1d2 points of Learning in addition to revealing a part of the dungeon map. Crystals of knowledge eventually stop working once Learning enters the mid-twenties, though.
Eating corpses[edit | edit source]
Corpses only partially affected by potential: Oracle
Stat potions[edit | edit source]
potions of learning and potions of gain attributes can be used to increase Learning. There is no soft or hard cap for using these; blessed potions of gain attributes give +1 (to all other stats also), uncursed potions of learning give +1, blessed potions +2.
There is a random room entrance effect that increases Learning by one while also reducing Strength by one.
Class powers[edit | edit source]
- Bards receive +6 Learning as part of their level 50 class power.
Talents[edit | edit source]
The "Learned" talent that is only available at the start of the game increases initial Learning by 2.
Corruption[edit | edit source]
A few corruptions increase Learning.
- Babbling mouth: +8
- Bulging cranium: +6
- Voices of cHaOs: +4
Others[edit | edit source]
- The artifact potion of literacy will train or increase Learning when drunk, if the player has already obtained the Literacy skill through other means. The impact depends on B/U/C status.
- The stat gradually increases as the PC gets older.
How to abuse It[edit | edit source]
Dull rooms[edit | edit source]
Rooms that give the message "this seems to be a very dull room" message when entered abuse the PC's Learning each turn (s)he is inside one, meaning that spending too much time in them can lead to decreases to the stat.
Kranf Niest[edit | edit source]
Collecting the Kill Jharod reward will result in a 1d3 Learning loss.
Corruption[edit | edit source]
The apish corruption will reduce Learning by 1 on the onset, while additionally (and permanently!) decreasing Learning in irregular intervals. It will do the same to Willpower, but increase Strength and Toughness.
Corpses[edit | edit source]
Items[edit | edit source]
Several items in the game will grant a Learning bonus if worn (standard bonus in brackets). These include:
- rings and helms of mental stability (+1)
- staff of learning (+2)
- the artifacts crown of science (+9), Iron Crown of Havlor (+4), Shirt of the Saints (+2), stone of the ages (+6), manacles of madness (+5)
Requirements[edit | edit source]
|12||Master Packager, Very Skilled|