Elementalists are arcane casters with a few notable differences between themselves and the other arcane magicians, Wizards and Necromancers. Elementalists are able to learn spells naturally, meaning that as well as starting the game with existing knowledge of two spells, they can learn new spells at certain levels, and their knowledge of all spells they naturally learned increases each time they level up. They can also learn spells from spellbooks, though they have a bit more difficulty doing so than Wizards or necromancers. Moreover, Elementalists find a lot fewer spellbooks than either of those classes, making their spell base perhaps more limited in the long run.
As well as having average book finding abilities—generally on par with fighting classes—Elementalists get frustratingly slow level advances on all their skills, including Concentration and Literacy. The skills that they do have are quite useful, such as Healing and Swimming. Like other classes relying mainly on magic, they have quite poor starting equipment, though they always start with a useful ring of fire resistance. They have a couple of interesting class powers, but no exceptionally useful ones.
As far as race/class combos go, gnomes are obviously a popular choice for Elementalists since they gain levels (and thus spells) quickly and have high Mana scores. Elves make good Elementalists too, with dark elves adding two useful skills. Since playing an Elementalist is one way of getting a PC of a physically strong race to easily learn offensive spells, drakelings and dwarves are not bad choices either. Playing a trollish Elementalist is perhaps not a good idea due to their difficulties with gaining levels or learning spells from books... though one could probably still win without any magic.
Basic Information Edit
Manual Description Edit
Elementalists are magicians specialized on dealing with the four elements: fire, water, earth and air. Their spells specifically deal with those elements and their magic equipment reflects this preference, too. Elementalists normally don't use written magic but employ powers they harness from within. Their magic thus is somewhat limited in one way and a lot more powerful in other ways. Elementalists generally use a less scientific approach to magic than Wizards usually do.
Base/Typical Stats Edit
The base stats for adult male Elementalists are tabulated below; female characters will have approximately -1 Strength and +1 Dex, and young characters have slightly less Strength, Learning and Willpower. These stats were generated using the method described on the Talk:Archer page; except with star sign factored in. Variations of +/- 5 to each stat will usually exist; or even more if the question system is skipped.
Elementalists generally have quite well-balanced stats, with good mental/magical stats but mediocre Strength.
Starting Skills Edit
|Skill||Typical Value||Typical Modifier||Available Ingame?|
Crowning Gifts Edit
- Brannalbin's Cloak of Defense
- Iron Crown of Havlor
- Nature's Friend
- Ring of immunity
- Staff of the archmagi
- Staff of the Wanderer
The ring and crown are probably the most desirable crowning gifts for Elementalists, as they offer much superior defensive bonuses than the alternative crowning gifts. The cloak and both of the staves offer nice advantages too, though wearing the cloak comes at the price of a much greater food consumption rate and spellcasters generally get less benefit from wielding staves than wielding a weapon and shield.
HP, PP, To-hit Growth by Level Edit
HP: Very low
Melee to-hit: Low
Ranged to-hit: Very low
Special Abilities Edit
Class Abilities Edit
- Elementalists automatically learn new spells at certain levels:
- Additionally, Elementalists' knowledge of all spells they have naturally learned increases as they gain levels. The increases are quite large for bolt spells and Burning Hands, but very slight for other spells.
- Heir gift: A ring of minor elemental mastery.
- On the negative side, Elementalists require twice as many weapon marks to advance weapon skill levels as most other classes.
Class Powers Edit
- Level 6: Gains intrinsic fire resistance .
- Level 12: Gains intrinsic shock resistance.
- Level 18: Gains immunity to all weather effects (i.e. rain).
- Level 25: Gains intrinsic water breathing.
- Level 32: Can invoke a special 'elemental storm' attack—fires a random elemental bolt (fire, lightning or frost) into each of the eight directions—at the cost of 120 PP.
- Level 40: Can summon an elemental as a pet at the cost of 2 Mana points (though these eventually regenerate).
- Level 50: Can automatically dig through a wall by walking into it. This movement action costs 1.5x more energy points than usual, and incurs a cost of 20 PP.
Starting Gear Edit
All Elementalists start the game with
- a robe
- either a quarterstaff or a dagger (mithril for mist elves)
- a ring of fire resistance
- an additional ring
- 2-3 potions
- 2-3 wands
- one or two scroll(s)
- some gold
Race specific gearEdit
|Human||Troll||High Elf||Grey Elf||Dark Elf|