Character creation is done at the beginning of the game.
During this process, you choose:
- Star Sign
- Attributes (Points or Questions)
- Game configurations (Disable Corruption, Disable Hunger, Monster Lethality, Disable Permadeath, Treasure Rate)
- Starting talents
Hair, eyes, complexion, weight, and height are generated randomly and have no effect in-game. The minor exception is weight, which is taken into account when entering the Quickling Tree and calculating the chance of ice beneath the PC breaking.
Gender has some minor effects:
- Shop prices are discounted by up to 50% for women depending on Appearance
- Men receive +1 Strength and women receive +1 Dexterity
- Women have better monster memory
- Only the opposite gender be affected by wedding rings
- The frog quest is only assigned to female characters
- Skriek gives discounts to women and Glod gives discounts to men
The real-world date (as read from your computer's current date) may also affect your character. The effects of these can be found on the corresponding page.
- Only applicable for the Steam release
- Starsign is chosen randomly if using the free version
- Questions only if using the free version
Important to note when creating a character, you will need at least 15 mana (Usually a bit more) in order to obtain 3 talents (Up to 4 depending on Starsign), as well as relatively evenly distributed attributes or points.