Appearance is one of the main attributes.
Purposes[edit | edit source]
- Corruption gain is adjusted by a factor of 100/(90 + Appearance); corruption removal is adjusted by a factor of 1 + (Appearance - 10)/100
- For females, Appearance is the main stat used to determine prices in shops. The attitude of the shopkeeper also heavily depends on his and the character's race.
The manual hints at Appearance drawing positive and negative attention, which may control how many monsters are generated peaceful. Appearance may also have some effect on taming or giving orders to companions, but Charisma is likely to be of far greater relevance in this regard.
Another, very minor benefit of a high Appearance stat is that the PC will not lose Perception from a rooms filled with shattering mirrors; a character with 18+ Appearance will "look great in all of them" and gain a Charisma point instead.
How to train it[edit | edit source]
Leveling up[edit | edit source]
Like all attributes, Appearance is slightly trained every time the PC levels up. The Athletics skill increases the amount of Appearance training gained.
How to raise it[edit | edit source]
Stat potions[edit | edit source]
Potions of beauty and potions of gain attributes can be used to increase Appearance. There is no soft or hard cap for using these; blessed potions of gain attributes give +1 (to all other stats also), uncursed potions of beauty give +1, blessed potions +2.
The PC may be hit in the face and blinded by a glob of mud. This causes a temporary loss of 1 Appearance—however, once the player wipes his/her face with the 'F' command, he will gain 2 Appearance for a net gain of 1.
Eating Corpses[edit | edit source]
Corpses that ignore potential: Ultimate doppelganger (trolls only)
Starsign[edit | edit source]
Class powers[edit | edit source]
- Bards receive +6 Appearance as part of their level 50 class power.
Corruption[edit | edit source]
There are no corruptions that give bonuses to Appearance.
Talents[edit | edit source]
The "Good Looks" talent that is only available at the start of the game increases initial Appearance by 3.
How to abuse It[edit | edit source]
Corruption[edit | edit source]
Many corruptions negatively affect Appearance:
- Tentacle mouth: -15
- Very light, extra eyes, bulging cranium, babbling mouth, stilt legs corruptions: -6
- Decaying tissue: -5
- Skin turning into scales, antennae, horns, maggot sprouting, bloody sweat corruptions: -4
- Thorns, apish look, gills corruptions: -3
- Single eye: -2
- Cold blooded: -1
Corpses[edit | edit source]
Other[edit | edit source]
Generally speaking, it's not very easy to train or abuse Appearance.
Items[edit | edit source]
Several items in the game will grant an Appearance bonus if worn (standard bonus in brackets). These include:
- cloak of adornment (+4), diadem of beauty (+4), pendant of beauty (+4), helm of beauty (+1), clean robe (+2), and fancy clothes (+1), as well as body armor with the prefix "shining" (+1), "beautiful" (+4), and "gorgeous" (+8), while "vile" reduces Appearance to 1
- staff of beauty (+6)
- the artifact Medal of Chaos (+12)
Requirements[edit | edit source]
Appearance is not a requirement for any talents.