Animal is a monster type in ADOM. Animals belong to a diverse mixture of semi-intelligent monsters — which usually can be affected by mindcraft (with the exception of a few animals such as rabid dogs), but can't use equipment and tend to not speak in a comprehensible language.
The monster class consists of several monsters including felines ('f'), rodents ('r'), dogs ('d'), bats ('B'), natural beasts such as bears ('N'), spiders ('S'), snakes ('s'), lizards ('l'), worms ('w'), insects('i'), and aquatic monsters ('A').
Almost all fantastic beasts ('F') — excepting giant boars and giant slugs — are different from their mundane counterparts. Their nature is typically more magical and they share neither vulnerabilities against Beastfighters, nor can be tamed (see below).
Common Attributes[edit | edit source]
Vulnerabilities[edit | edit source]
Except for the black whip of extinction there is no other known weapon that 'slays' animals or fantastic beasts, though it is said that when engaging an animal in unarmed melee Beastfighters have a 20% higher chance to land a critical hit on it.
Cat's Claw is a slaying weapon against rats, which is subtype of animals.
Other[edit | edit source]
- Music: All non-aquatic animals can be calmed and eventually tamed by music.
- Meat: All animals can be calmed and tamed with pieces of raw meat and fresh meat.
- Long bow of hunting is very effective (especially blessed) at generating animal corpses.
- Peace with druids: If the PC is a Druid, most animals in the game will be generated non-hostile, unless summoned, or created in tension or threat rooms. Chaos rats, chaos lizards, animals in Keethrax's lair in the Druid Dungeon, and bugs in the Bug Temple are unaffected.
- Additionally, if the PC is a non-Chaotic Druid, it is a major offense to their god(s) to sacrifice an animal.