Alignment is one of the many attributes of the PC in ADOM, representing — as the manual words it — the basic moral/religious outlook on the world. Alignment is a dynamic attribute: while its starting value is strictly determined by a set of factors, it may freely change during the game as a result of the PC's actions. The Law skill gives a chance to identify the nature of such actions (lawful or chaotic).
There are three alignment groups in ADOM — chaotic, neutral and lawful — and 11 alignment subgroups representing some flavor of the base three. Alignment score is supposedly represented internally as a number ranging from -10000 to +6000. The current value might be checked by reading a scroll of balance (cursed scrolls, however, provide less precise results). Alignment subgroups occupy fixed ranges within the global score range:
Information from the manual
Generally, alignments represent the basic moral ideas and beliefs of a character. A lawful character believes in law, order, the welfare of the whole community, tradition, peace and happiness. Chaotic characters enjoy change, are creative but also are quite selfish and generally are an unorganized lot. Some of the more extreme chaotic beings are downright evil, many extreme chaotics are quite mad. Lastly, there are neutral beings who apply the best or worst principles of both sides to make up their basic belief system.
The main factor defining starting alignment of the PC is his/her race. Some star signs provide a minor effect; finally, character class may provide a further major effect or override the value entirely.
- Neutral races include Humans, Gnomes, Grey Elves, Drakelings, Ratlings and Mist Elves.
- Lawful races include Dwarves, High Elves, and Hurthlings (+2000).
- Chaotic races include Orcs, Dark elves, and Trolls (-2000).
- Classes with major lawful tendencies include Healers (+1000).
- Classes with major chaotic tendencies include Necromancers (-1500).
- Druids will always start neutral regardless of race.
- Chaos Knights always start at C- regardless of race and star sign.
- Character of a specific alignment will automatically follow one of the three racial deities (Chaos Knights pray to Andor Drakon himself instead of a racial chaotic deity).
- Each of the three racial deities (or Andor Drakon) have an opinion of the PC measured in piety. Switching a deity greatly angers the former one but pleases the new one. Pleasing one deity will slightly anger the other two.
- All prayers are directed towards the PC's current deity and their results are dependent on piety level with the current deity.
- Characters of extreme alignment (C-, N=, L+) are eligible for (post-)crowning.
- Characters of non-extreme alignment are eligible for precrowning.
- Sacrificing at an altar will either move the PC's alignment towards the alignment of the altar or vice versa up to the point of changing alignment. Every sacrifice is devoted to the deity corresponding to the current alignment of the altar and might trigger divine retribution.
- Chaotic PCs can be sacrificed by intelligent monsters on altars matching the alignment of the monster. Neutral and lawful PCs cannot be sacrificed on altars matching their current alignment.
- C- PCs accumulate corruption at an increased rate. Chaotic crowning will bestow 1-2 corruption effects on the PC.
- L+ PCs accumulate corruption at a decreased rate.
- White unicorns and Yrruir are generated neutral towards neutral and lawful PCs (unless summoned or generated in vaults and tension rooms), and generated hostile towards chaotic PCs.
- Blink dogs, ki-rins, farmers and dwarves are generated neutral towards lawful PCs (unless summoned or generated in vaults and tension rooms).
- The old barbarian and the ice queen will not give their quests to chaotic PCs.
- Chaotic PCs cannot get the Trident of the Red Rooster from Khelavaster, cannot receive Healing from Jharod, will not receive potions of cure corruption from Guth'Alak (he will take the corpse nevertheless!) and cannot get Hawkslayer as a companion.
- Gaab'Baay will give her first quest only to chaotic PCs (her other quests might be taken regardless of alignment).
- The demented ratling will take an artifact from any PC, but will count it as a part of his payment for the location of the Crown of Chaos only for chaotic PCs.
- Yergius will not give his quest to lawful PCs neither he will provide his services to a lawful member of the Thieves Guild.
Chaos Knights feature a unique communication scheme with most NPCs. The full details can be viewed on their corresponding page.
- Ordinary chaos god ending can only be achieved by chaotic PCs.
- Ultra ending can be achieved by a PC of any alignment. However, lawful PCs do not have to be extremely corrupted to pass through the chaos gate.
- Lawful characters who have never commited a chaotic act (even through a balancing effect) and saved Khelavaster (As of 1.2.0 you no longer need to save Khelevaster) will (as Paragons of Order) receive True Strength upon reaching D:50.
Some factors influence the number of 'alignment points' lost or gained by certain actions, thus determining their final effect on the PC's alignment:
- PC's level: (2 x (PC's Lvl - 1))% penalty for lawful actions.
- Tree sign: 10% penalty.
- Book and Wand signs: 10% penalty for chaotic actions.
- Unicorn sign: 20% penalty for chaotic actions once lawful.
- Amulet of balance: 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 multiplier (corresponding to B/U/C status) once neutral.
- Chaos Knights have the effect of lawful actions reduced by 90%.
Some caps also apply — most notable at C, N-, N=, N+, L — especially for Champions.
List of alignment-changing actions (with approximate values)
|eat Yrruir corpse||-8000|
|sacrifice companion or animal when Druid||-100*exp|
|eat White unicorn corpse||-4000|
|kill White unicorn||-2000|
|step on eudialyte statue||-2000|
|quest "kill Yrruir"||-2000|
|shatter lawful altar||-1500|
|eat Keethrax corpse||-1000|
|use Ventriloquism on Thrundarr||-1000|
|chat with Blup after having killed his mom||-1000|
|last quest of Gaab'Baay||-1000|
|quest "Kill the Ice Queen"||-1000|
|eat Emperor moloch corpse||-666|
|kill Tiny girl's dog and tell her the truth||-600|
|attack peaceful monster||-500|
|eat undead or Ratling warlord corpse||-500|
|kill Tywat Pare||-500|
|chat with Ratling rebel after the arena master killed||-500|
|animate a corpse||-300|
|get caught shoplifting||-250|
|kill lawful/peaceful monster||-4*exp|
|shatter neutral altar||-200|
|give poisoned item to monster||-200|
|learn "Pick pockets" skill||-100|
|cut tree in Terinyo||-100|
|sacrifice on chaotic altar||-10*net cost|
|pick pockets when not chaotic||-50|
|give gold to Ruun if his alignment less||-gold/20|
|steal item||-4*net cost|
|attack with Moon Sickle, Vampirism suffix or Shadow Touch||-dmg|
|use Ventriloquism on lawful monster||-10|
|read Tract of chaos||-6|
|Amulet of chaos or body armor suffix "of chaos", every ~4 turns||-1|
|body armor suffix "of balance", every ~4 turns||1 to N=|
|read Tract of balance||2 to N=|
|kill Keethrax when neutral||250 to N=|
|drink Potion of balance (chance)||10*attr to N=|
|quest "Kill Keethrax" when not lawful||400 to N=|
|kill chaotic monster||+exp/60|
|Amulet of order or body armor suffix "of order", every ~4 turns||+1|
|give bone to dogs, give meat to animals||+1|
|give gold to beggar, give candy to child||+1|
|give piece of fish meat to Black hurthling||+1|
|read Tract of order||+2|
|cure rabid dog||+3|
|plant the herb seed||+5|
|offer peace to monster||+exp/10|
|give flail or seed to farmer||+10|
|chat with unfriendly lawful monster||+20|
|spend some time with lonely monster||+30|
|kill undead or corrupting monster||+exp|
|give gold to Ruun if his alignment greater||+gold/20|
|give food to beggar||+50|
|scare monster when lawful||+100|
|kill Black unicorn||+100|
|sacrifice on lawful altar||+10*net cost|
|give food to hungry monster||+100|
|give heal potions to Jharod||+150|
|give outlaw corpse to Tywat Pare when not chaotic||+reward/2|
|eat Ratling guardian corpse||+250|
|kill Keethrax when lawful||+250|
|quest "kill the ogre tribe"||+250|
|quest "kill a greater daemon"||+250|
|quest "Kill Kranach"||+250|
|quest "Kill Hotzenplotz"||+350|
|quest "Kill Keethrax" when lawful||+400|
|kill Kranf Niest||+500|
|quest "Save Yrrigs"||+500|
|tell Tiny girl about her dog killed (not by PC)||+600|
|quest "Rescue the Cute Dog"||+800|
|chat with Blup after having found his mom||+1000|
|kick chaotic altar||+1000|
|use Whip to death and resurrect||+2000|